James N. Galloway
Sidman P. Poole Professor · Ph.D., University of California - San Diego, 1972.
- Office: Clark Hall 210
Sidman P. Poole Professor
My biogeochemical research includes investigations on the natural and anthropogenic controls on chemical cycles at the watershed, regional and global scales. I started first with trace metal biogeochemistry of the coastal ocean, and then expanded to investigations on the increased acidification of the atmosphere, soils and fresh waters. My current research focuses on beneficial and detrimental effects of reactive nitrogen as it cascades between the atmosphere, terrestrial ecosystems and freshwater and marine ecosystems. My most recent work examines how to maximize the use of nitrogen for beneficial purposes (i.e., food production), while minimizing its negative impacts on people and ecosystems.
1. Leach, AM, AN Majidi, JN Galloway, A Greene. 2013. Towards institutional sustainability: A nitrogen footprint model for a university. Sustainability: The Journal of Record 6: 211-219.
2. Galloway, JN, AM Leach, A Bleeker, JW Erisman. 2013. A chronology of human understanding of the nitrogen cycle. Philosophical Transactions of The Royal Society B. 368.1621.
3. Winiwarter W., JW Erisman, JN Galloway, Z Klimont, and M Sutton, 2013. Estimating environmental loads of reactive nitrogen in the 21st century. Climatic Change 120: 889-901.
4. Kanter, DR, DL Mauzerall, AR Ravishankara, JS Daniel, RW Portmann, P Brabiel, WR Moomaw, JN Galloway. A post-Kyoto partner: Considering the stratospheric ozone regime as a tool to manage nitrous oxide. Proc. National Acad. Sci. www.pnas.org/cgi/doi/10.1073/pnas.1222231110.
5. Erisman, JW, J Galloway, S Seitzinger, A. Bleeker, and D. Butterbach-Bahl. Reactive nitrogen in the environment and its effect on climate change. Current Opinions in Environmental Sustainability, 3, 281–290.
6. Leach, AL, JN Galloway, A Bleeker, JW Erisman, R Kohn, and J Kitzes. 2012. A nitrogen footprint model to help consumers understand their role in nitrogen losses to the environment. Environmental Development 1 pp. 40-66.
7. Galloway, JN, AR Townsend, JW Erisman, M. Bekunda, Z. Cai, JR Freney, LA Martinelli, SP Seitzinger, MA Sutton. 2008. Transformation of the nitrogen cycle: recent trends, questions and potential solutions. Science 320, 889-892.